Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Sears Mystery Tool -- U.S. Patent No. 2743046


Here's a curious bit of gear.


The left side end is a paint can opener. (It's identified as such on the inner, concave surface of the tool.)

The right side end looks to me like a bottle opener.

But the tabs/notches at the upper centre had me mystified.

On the inner, concave surface of the tool there's a patent number -- 2743046. I looked up that number and discovered that this is a device for carrying two big cans of paint by their bails simultaneously, like so.


The cans remain level while supported by the device, so they can even be carried when open.

Here's a link to the patent document.

I doubt that I would ever have figured the thing out on my own.

I'll hang this on a nail over by my paint bench.

# # #


# # #



2 comments:

  1. I was wondering about this for quite some time. Thanks a bunch for figuring it out.

    ReplyDelete