Thursday, July 28, 2016

A Cheapo Pencil Compass From Hong Kong




It's not what you'd call a 'fine instrument', but it has a clever feature for gripping the pencil.

Note the little downward-pointing lever at the extreme right. That lever operates an eccentric that clamps the pencil into its barrel.

Here's the lever in its upward-pointing position.


The pencil is now quite firmly gripped.

The flaw in this design lies in the attachment of the pencil barrel to the pencil arm -- it's loose. That makes for a shaky, wobbly pencil arm.

Were I to super-glue the barrel to the arm, I might have a reasonably good, useable compass. Maybe some day when I'm really desperate to glue something, I'll do that.

Meanwhile, this can go in my spare tools drawer.

More To The Story

In the bottom of the small toolbox that the compass was in, I found this curious little loose part.


Hmmm. Might it be a radius or diameter scale that belonged to the compass? 'Sure looks like it.


Let's see if I can get this all back together. It might be interesting to see how accurate the scale is.

- - -

And here we are.


It's a radius scale, alright -- an outrageously inaccurate one.

Setting it to 1" gives me a radius of about 1 5/16". One wonders why the manufacturer even bothered.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment