Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A 12 Volt Car Battery




Hmmm.

I wonder what the odds are of this thing being fit for service -- slim to nil, probably. A voltmeter check showed me 5V open circuit voltage, so at least the thing is not completely open internally. 'Only thing to do is put my charger on it and see what transpires. I'll bring the battery over to the back of the house where there's an outdoor outlet, and try charging it outside. If it means to do anything obnoxious, it can do it outside, and not in my workshop.

- - -

It's not looking good. I've had the charger on it for about an hour now. With the charger connected and powered on, the battery's terminal voltage reads normally -- about 13.2V. When I disconnect the charger, the terminal voltage falls off to just below 10V. That suggests a shorted cell that can't accept a charge. I'll leave the charger on it for the rest of the day and see if there's any change for the better, but it's probably futile.

So, it's probably off to the hazardous waste depot with it.

That's too bad, because a good 12V lead-acid battery can be a useful thing to have for experimenting with devices that draw a lot of current; not that I really have any such thing in mind at the moment

- - -

Sure enough, this battery is past it. It'll have to go for a ride to the hazardous waste depot.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment