Sunday, January 8, 2012

A No-Name 1 1/16" Hole Saw

For a no-name hole saw, this thing looks pretty decent. I find it a bit odd, though, that the saw teeth are in much better condition than is the pilot drill. One would think that the saw portion leads a harder life than the pilot drill does.

The shank is roughly a 7/16"(11mm) A/F hex. I chucked it in my drill press and it appears to run true. A 5/16"-24 setscrew secures the pilot drill, so the pilot drill is replaceable. Here's a view of it taken apart. Note the flat on the pilot drill's shank. A regular drill assigned as a replacement will have to have a similar flat ground on it.

Something about this hole saw has got my 'restoration juices' flowing. I need to restore it to pristine condition right bleeping now. I'll start with stripping the paint off of it.

- - -

Stripping off the paint revealed that that it was "MADE IN U.S.A.", but no maker's name. I don't know what they're ashamed of -- it's a perfectly good hole saw.

Here's a way to grind a flat on a drill's shank.

That's a 7/32" diameter chain saw sharpening stone in a Dremel hand grinder. The resulting flat is not precise or pretty, but it will serve.

And here it is all painted and back together with its new pilot drill.








Now I've gone and made it too nice to actually use -- I'll scuff the paint.

It can go in the cabinet with my other hole saws, in a protective wrapper.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment