Monday, January 2, 2012

A Female/Female Garden Hose Quick-Disconnect

These things are the greatest invention since garden hose itself, although I don't use this configuration.

The fitting pictured screws onto a faucet, or onto the downstream end of a hose. There's a check-valve in the fitting; with no male quick-disconnect fitting inserted into the yellow end, the valve is closed. Inserting a male fitting forces the valve open, so a system can be left pressurized while attachment connections are made or unmade, just as in a compressed air supply system.

I don't care to leave faucets on and idle hoses pressurized though, so I don't make use of that feature of quick-diconnects; I rig hoses and attachments oppositely gendered, with no check-valve equipped fittings used.

I use a male quick-disconnect at the upstream supply points, and a female quick-disconnect at the downstream receiving points. It works for me.

Whichever way one chooses to arrange these things, they're a great convenience. With all one's hoses and attachments uniformly fitted with quick-disconnects, things like replacing a nozzle with a sprinkler are a zero-aggravation breeze.

I'll stash this item in my hose fittings bin. Perhaps some day I'll want to make use of the check-valve feature.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment