Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Cummins 1/4" Portable Drill

From the early 1950s I imagine. I suppose 'Cummins' would be the Cummins that I know now as a maker of diesel engines, among other things, but no longer a maker of portable power tools.

This drill still runs. The carrying case is in very fine condition -- it looks like it's sat on a shelf all these years, and has never seen active service.

This was made in Chicago, Illinois. The model No. is 110-27824. (The '-27824' part may be a serial number.) The chuck is a Jacobs Model 6141.

I quite like the idea of the 'D' handle. It puts one's hand and arm right in line with the chuck's axis so you can really bear down directly on a drill.

I'll stash this away in storage in its case for now. One day, I'll tear it down and examine everything and repack the gearbox with fresh grease.

# # #


# # #