Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Mystery Arbor/Mandrel

And speaking of mysteries, the difference between 'arbor' and 'mandrel' has to be one of English's great ones. To me, it's about like the difference between 'darn' and 'drat'.

Here are the Concise Oxford Dictionary's main entries:

arbor n. Axle or spindle on which something revolves.


mandrel n. (In lathe) shaft to which work is fixed while being turned.

I'm inclined to avoid both words and just use 'spindle':

spindle n. Pin or axis that revolves or on which a thing revolves.

Anyway, this thing had me baffled for quite awhile until it dawned on me that two things are missing -- a 1/4" pilot drill and saw teeth -- it's a hole saw sans teeth. Here it is taken apart, but with a pilot drill inserted in the 'spindle'.

The American manufacturer, Millers Falls, is no longer with us, but an internet search reveals that considerable interest in the firm's tools remains. I found a couple of their hole saws on Ebay; here's one of the photos.









This one pictured is 2 1/4". The one I have is 7/8". I'll never know how or why it came to be toothless.

I suppose it belongs in the cabinet with my other holesaws, in kinship if not in effect.




# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment