Wednesday, November 13, 2019

A Florist's Shears Without A Closure Ring


I'm not certain that these are florist's shears, but that's what they look like to me.


They have a torsion spring tucked away in the pivot that makes them self-opening. What's missing is a closure ring at the end of the handles to close them up for storage. Let's see if I can fabricate a reasonable facsimile of a closure ring.

- - -

And here's the beginnings of a ring fashioned from 1/16" diameter steel rod.


Here's the tool with its ring installed and clamped up in a 'third hand' for soldering.


And here's the ring closed up with 60/40 tin/lead solder.


I used regular plumber's paste soldering flux to solder that.

Here's the tool closed up with its new ring.


And here's a close-up view of the closure ring doing its job.


It's not perfect , but it'll do what I need it to.

# # #


# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment