Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Cheap Little Spanner


The small end at the left is 10mm. The end at the right appears to have been filed for some particular application -- it's sort of 1/2", but the jaws aren't parallel. I'll see if can improve that end, and clean this thing up. Maybe I'll even give it a paint job, just for the heck of it.

- - -

Here it is all fixed up.


I had a little bit of dark blue spray paint left, so I used that. It's actually not a bad colour for a tool. I drilled a hole through it so it can hang on a nail with a few other small spanners. (Also, the hole was needed as a place where I could 'screw' the thing onto the very first thread of a long wood screw, so I'd have a means of holding it for spray painting. That accounts for the slight flaw in the paint job right at the hole.)

I squeezed the large end in the vise to correct the parallelism of the jaws. That turned the large end into a slightly oversize 12mm spanner.

# # #


# # #