Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Pocket Knife

It has a can piercer and a bottle opener in addition to the knife blade. (I just tried out the bottle opener -- it works fine.)

It was made by 'Richards' of Sheffield, England. (There's a logo of a beacon or lighthouse bisecting the 'Richards' name.) From what I've read of Richards knives on the internet, they're considered to be low-end tools of no great distinction, but this knife looks pretty decent to me. It's well-constructed, with solid, unambiguous open and closed seatings of the 'blades'. I'll keep it in the tackle box I have for miscellaneous bits of camping gear.

- - -

As an adolescent, I always had a pocket knife on me -- a very slim one, like this.

Attending high school (mid-1960s), I'd have a brown-bagged lunch that my mom had packed for me. There was often an orange in the bag. I had a neat method for peeling an orange with the aid of a knife -- three shallow, circular cuts to the skin and it all came away nicely. I'd peacefully eat my sandwich in the school's lunchroom/cafeteria, take out my orange and my knife, peel the orange and eat it; no big deal, no threat to anyone, no cause for alarm.

From things I've read lately, I take it that a high school kid doing such a thing these days would attract a SWAT team equipped with tasers, automatic rifles, tear gas, pepper spray, fearsome dogs and possibly a grenade launcher. WTF!?

Who, pray tell, is responsible for that state of affairs? Is he or she still running around loose? Why hasn't he or she been hunted down and dealt with harshly? I'd like some answers.

# # #

FEEDBACK

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment